Know History is a Canadian firm that provides historical services to assist in the research, presentation, and documentation of Canada’s history. With offices in Ottawa and Calgary and Associates located throughout the country, we have had the privilege of working alongside policymakers, museums, filmmakers, Indigenous organizations, and individuals to make history relevant.
Know History is looking for a Senior Historian who will bring their expertise in Indigenous history, archival collections, government policy, and historical research methodologies to create research designs, and write analytical reports related to land claims, specific claims, and Indigenous history topics. The Senior Historian will bring knowledge of the Government of Canada’s claims, and negotiations processes to add excellence to Know History’s services that are designed to benefit Indigenous Peoples and communities.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead research projects related to Indigenous history issues
- Write reports related to litigation research, comprehensive claims as well as Statements of Facts, expert witness, and rebuttal reports
- Conduct archival research
- Act as an expert witness when required
- Manage small to medium size teams of various experience levels
- Mentor junior staff on approach to the research process
- Publish articles, blog posts, and other written material
- Experience writing a variety of reports including litigation-related research reports, reports for Specific Claims, Comprehensive Claims, as well as Statements of Facts, Expert witness, and rebuttal reports.
- Five plus years of archival research experience with a focus on Indigenous issues/history or
- Demonstrated experience conducting archival research on multiple projects with a focus on Government/Indigenous relations.
- Experience managing small to medium size teams of various experience levels
- Demonstrated experience leading community consultation
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience and a high level of comfort using Microsoft Office
This is a salaried position starting from $80,000. Know History offers a very attractive compensation package with 4 weeks of vacation, a group RRSP, sick leave, and health benefits. Know History offers a flexible work schedule and prides itself on its commitment to staff well-being. Due to the nature of the role and current safety measures in place for COVID-19, this position is remote but the option to work in either the Calgary or Ottawa offices is a future possibility.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining the Know History team, please submit your CV (2 pages max) and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates who meet the criteria outlined in this advertisement will be selected for an interview. We thank everyone for their interest, but only those selected will be contacted.
Know History is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and strongly encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, members of racialized communities, people with disabilities, and people of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. If you require assistance or accommodation at any point in the application process, please also contact email@example.com or call 613-700-8677.