We are looking for a Software Developer to provide services on existing Know History applications and to work with our Digital History team in the development of new applications which further the research, presentation, and documentation of Indigenous and Canadian history. Key responsibilities will include software design, development, and support, including writing application code, writing technical specifications, liaising with system users, conducting QA activities, and deploying applications. The Software Developer will work both independently and collaboratively with KH staff, clients, communities, and external partners to take new software features from concept to deployment.
This is a full-time position located in our Ottawa office.
- C# Web Application development (.NET 6 preferred)
- js (or similar JS framework) front-end development
- Database development, query and stored procedure writing in SQL Server/MySQL
- Designing quality customer-facing user interfaces
- Working within production and development server infrastructure as required for collaborative work with partner organizations
- Conducting User Needs Assessments
- Quality assurance testing through every phase of the development life cycle
- Maintaining strong quality metrics and technical documentation
- Supporting writing of technical proposals, estimates, and reports, including collaborating with partner organizations as required
- Supporting Know History’s technical operations as needed
- Other related duties as needed
- Hours: Full-time with flexible hours
- Location: Ottawa, Canada
- Compensation: Starting at $80,000/year, with paid vacation, paid sick leave, and health and dental benefits
- Travel required: Occasionally
- Other: State-of-the-art equipment is provided (e.g., laptop, dual monitor, peripherals), team members are also provided other resources, facilities, and training
Essential Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 2 years of demonstrated professional experience developing software and applications from concept to completion
- Understanding of design patterns
- Knowledge of GitHub
- Knowledge of nUnit or similar testing framework
- Experience using Entity Framework
- Experience writing queries and stored procedures
- Experience planning and creating clean logical databases and table structures
- Writing software requirements specifications
- Experience with prototyping and user experience design
- Ability to communicate regularly, professionally, and clearly at general, technical and management levels
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
Additional Skills and Experience
- Azure .NET/SQL Development
- Experience with NuGet and creating packages
- Knowledge of CQRS (Mediatr)
- Knowledge of REST APIs
- Knowledge of Owin/OAuth, NoSQL (CosmosDB or similar)
- Knowledge of Service-Oriented Architectures and Event Sourcing
- Experience with Cloud Development
- Experience working with Indigenous and historical datasets (or similar) is an asset
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for privacy and data security
- Ability to work with tight deadlines while retaining flexibility and a sense of priorities
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Software Development is preferred, or equivalent professional experience and training
- Visual Studio 2019+
- ReSharper Extension or Rider IDE in place of Visual Studio
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining Know History’s team for this role, please send your resume to email@example.com by Friday, June 27th, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Know History is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. We know that, in order to understand our collective history, we need to prioritize Indigenous and diverse voices across all aspects of our organization. We strongly encourage candidates to apply and self-identify if they are Indigenous, members of racialized communities and visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression.
We are dedicated to providing an inclusive and supportive environment. If you have any questions or require accessibility or cultural accommodations, at any point in the application process, send us an email and we’ll work with you to make sure your needs are met.